Tuesday 19 May 2009

New gear Reviewed, Pacific Outdoor Ether Thermo 6



Sleeping Mat - POE Ether Thermo 6

Initial Impressions

I got the Ether Thermo 6 just after returning from the last trip. It turned out to be a Long rather than regular but as it wasn’t much heavier and they didn’t have any regular in stock I kept it. I’d tried it twice and found it pretty strange compared to a normal self inflating mat, I had the feeling that I would fall off it. You have to inflate it yourself and it takes a fair few blows but it packs nice and small and was comfortable to lie on but didn’t provide much support if I leaned on my elbow on it.

In the Field

The mat is fine as far as sleeping comfort and insulation goes, the weight isn’t excessive and it packs down well however it is an effort to inflate even in the space of the bothy, trying to inflate it under the fly of a tent is too much trouble for my liking. Due to the length it kinks when you’re inflating it which makes it more difficult/awkward. I’m still not keen on the ‘Sleeping on a Log’ sensation and it doesn’t provide the same comfort as a Self Inflate foam mat if you’re leaning on your elbow to cook.

Conclusion

I guess I prefer Self Inflating foam mats even if they don’t pack down as small. I feel they provide a bit more sitting/elbow leaning comfort and only need topping up after they’ve inflated themselves. The mat is good enough and does what it claims, it simply doesn’t suit me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard,

    as you know I am in the market for a new inflatable pad. Its either the Thermo 6 or the Neo Air.

    Looking at your picture, the Thermo 6 looks narrower than my exped and if I could be bothered, I would go and look at the dimensions... :)

    Still umming and arring over this one. If the Thermo 6 isnt quite right its only 40quid whereas the NeoAir is double that......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, mines an extra long version which I think makes it look narrow plus it's Mummy shaped which makes it look narrower than it is. (I think)

    ReplyDelete