Thursday 30 July 2009

Woodstove in Action.

I thought I'd post this to illustrate how little fuel is required to bring 500ml of water to a rolling boil. The stove is the Einzel Kocher EK-750 UL and came about thanks to a request from a guy in Sweden for a lighter potstand than the standard wire mesh type. I've made a lighter grate for this one as it's the one I use myself, trail weight including potstand and foil ash tray is 79g. The windshield is made from a double layer of kitchen foil and weighs 16g.

It took 18 mins from setting up to reach a rolling boil so the video is in 2 parts.

Part 1



Part 2

2 comments:

  1. Great steady-state burn all the way through! I've got to practice more to match that.
    What causes the smoke - is that damp bark on some sticks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob, just practice, nothing more than that.

    The smoke, probably partly down to a slight amount of moisture but it calms down once there's a bit of heat in the stove. A better bed of embers etc burns off any moisture more quickly. The type of wood makes a difference, I pretty much used a single source with maybe a few pieces picked up off the ground beside the stove.

    ReplyDelete